When to start nutrients on seedlings

nick6422 Junior MemberPosts: 15
edited March 2009 in Basics
I have some babies! They're just starting to break seed. I was wondering when is the best time to start giving them food? I've read wait until their leaves begin to yellow. Is there a better way? What problems am I mostly likely to experience?
Post edited by nick6422 on
Tagged:

Comments

• c-rayc-ray germinating Posts: 14,993
    edited November 2008
    they can go the first 2 weeks using just the nutrient reserve that is stored in their [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotyledons"]cotyledons
    when the cotyledons start to yellow slightly then that is when they are needing their first dose of food
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
  • guest Posts: 24,389
    edited November 2008
    At that age c-ray would that be a watered down veg mix or some type of seedling/transplant mix with just thrive in it or b-1 or something?
  • LandryLandry Insurgent Posts: 91
    edited November 2008
    Often nutrients come with a prescribed dosage, Always start by using 1/2 of that, even 1/4th. That's if they give seedlings recommandations.

If all you got is a vegging recom., use 1/8th of it, see how the plant reacts and go from there.

Seedlings are very fragile and dont need much nutrients, as C-ray said, wait for some yellowing to appear on the cotyledons b4 givin em anything else then supplements (b1, supplements with lil to no nutrients in it).

Once you have a few rows of leafs you can start feedin em.
  • OCDinFL Junior Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2009
    :yeahthat: Actually, I don't garden by feel. More of a methodical gardener. 10-14 days is a good starting point. 1/4 strength at first, gradually increasing over the first month to full(depend on line of nutes) strength.