The whole mollasses thing???

nomastravajo Goin GreenPosts: 41
edited April 2009 in Basics
I have been doing alot of research on using mollasses ... Should it be used starting at mid flower as an additive to nute solution? If so how often should i use the mollasses as an additive? As for the flushing cycle at the end of flowering....How often at that point should the mollasses be used..? every time i flush or every other time? And how much runoff should be achieved during flushing stage? I have read so many different things about using it i want to see what people on here have to say... Thanx for any and all advice
Post edited by nomastravajo on

Comments

• a_goodman Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2008
    what are you wanting the mollasses to do..
    and, how does it do it??

peace
    [CENTER][url=http://www.maximumyield.com/article_sh_db.php?articleID=197&yearVar=2004&issueVar=January/February]!!!Be aware of the three headed monster!!!

General Key to Foliar Symtoms of Mineral Deficiencies in Plants
    also containing Tenative General Key to Foliar Symptoms of Mineral Toxicities in Plants

Dolphins, eskimos, who cares? It's all a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap.
    [/CENTER]
  • StoneStone Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2008
    He's baking a cake -- that's the only thing molasses can be used for. :-)
    edited October 2008
    hey, im just askin';)

....there was a thread here a while back about sugar and molasses....

http://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=1534

peace
    [CENTER][url=http://www.maximumyield.com/article_sh_db.php?articleID=197&yearVar=2004&issueVar=January/February]!!!Be aware of the three headed monster!!!

also containing Tenative General Key to Foliar Symptoms of Mineral Toxicities in Plants

[/CENTER]
  • nomastravajo Goin Green Posts: 41
    edited October 2008
    Thanx for the lnk. I was trying to find some info on the sbject...

and for the others...this quote might make you scratch your head....

ghostryder
    professional grower

Up here in good old BC we have been adding black strap molasses in the 5 last weeks of flower for ages. it sugars up the plant for makin fantastic hashish. it also adds weight to the bud; gives a little flavor too depending on the strain. just dont over do it or you will topple the crop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    weird sense of humor here, im sorry in advance! hehehe
  • Subzero420Subzero420 Junior Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2008
    Molasses is an old trick {& a good one!} from back in the day man. I have always used it during flowering, esp. by the 4th. or 5th. week..... the plants LOVE IT!! It can make the difference between a "good crop" & a "World Class" crop. in some cases, but do it right, I usually use 3-4 TBL Spoonful's per Gal. of filtered water, & back off towards flush-time.. its been working so far for each crop-out I have done for the last sev. years...good luck.
    Defend Medical Cannabis = Freedom. Please, remember to VOTE.
  • spacemanspaceman Civilized worm Posts: 8,537
    edited October 2008
    so i wonder what aspects of the plant use the sugar directly or if it is a trade off with microbiology, symbiotic values.,.,??? peace
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
  • ParabolaParabola lex injusta non est lex Posts: 1,072
    edited October 2008
    blackstrap is full of significant amounts of vitamins and minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. i have seen no evidence of plants being able to use sugars directly from the root system, but the idea is that the sugars feed soil born organisms.
    [SIGPIC]https://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=341[/SIGPIC]

"The man who craves disciples and wants followers is always more or less of a charlatan. The man of genuine worth and insight wants to be himself; and he wants others to be themselves, also." ~ Elbert Hubbard
    edited October 2008
    well written Parabola.
    now we know how it does it..
    and this leads to what do you want it to do.

The only evident purpose that i can see, as well, is for the promotion of microbials, thus it may be beneficial at microbial establishment, in a organic system,but in straight chem fed hydro systems, and for use of a sweetener during flushing...there may be no benefits as there is no actual direct plant absorption of the sugars. thank you very much for your contribution.

peace

[/CENTER]
  • ghostryderghostryder professional grower Posts: 161
    edited October 2008
    there is a really interesting article on the 3LB website about the use of molasses covering, sugar cane, beet and sourhgum.

black strap molasses is the overall best and you can use it @ 15ml per gallon from mid veg to 2nd last week of flower.

as well as acting as a chleating agent for micronutrient uptake it is rich in 4 of the macros and will cover the plants with THC for excellent hash making.
    weird sense of humor here, im sorry in advance! hehehe
  • ParabolaParabola lex injusta non est lex Posts: 1,072
    edited October 2008
    nuggdigger;78815 said:
    thank you very much for your contribution.

peace
    no prob and thanks, i can appreciate your use of the socratic method here
    [SIGPIC]https://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=341[/SIGPIC]

"The man who craves disciples and wants followers is always more or less of a charlatan. The man of genuine worth and insight wants to be himself; and he wants others to be themselves, also." ~ Elbert Hubbard
  • JanoshJanosh wierdoatlarge Posts: 268
    edited October 2008
    Yes, and thank you. It's nice to have more than one way to do things. I haven't tried Mollasses yet, but I will now.
  • guest Posts: 24,389
    edited October 2008
    Parabola;78813 said:
    blackstrap is full of significant amounts of vitamins and minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. i have seen no evidence of plants being able to use sugars directly from the root system, but the idea is that the sugars feed soil born organisms.
    Well said.
    edited October 2008
    Hi GR,
    ghostryder;78895 said:
    there is a really interesting article on the 3LB website about the use of molasses covering, sugar cane, beet and sourhgum.
    The 3LB are great but their molasses info is way off. I went over this at cannababanana a while ago. Molasses does not offer macros. Listen to Parabola.
    black strap molasses is the overall best and you can use it @ 15ml per gallon from mid veg to 2nd last week of flower.
    Black strap molasses should be used at 5ml per gallon not 15ml. It should be added to first drenching of media and can be added every two weeks after that, but monthly is probably best. Molasses is a non-specific microbial food which means it can 'feed' harmful microbes as well as beneficial microbes. Molasses is more of a bacterial food then fungal, though the fungals do use the glucose. But there are better fungal foods like humic acid, hydrolyzed or emulsified fish (hydrolyzed is better), etc.
    as well as acting as a chleating agent for micronutrient uptake it is rich in 4 of the macros and will cover the plants with THC for excellent hash making.
    That is not accurate, sorry. While molasses might be able to chelate a little it's not a benefit of molasses. For chelation humic acid offers more benefit and it's also a fungal food. Molasses doesn't offer a single macro (N-P-K-Ca) in quantity. You shouldn't really say it will cover plants with THC, the biological and metabolic processes/pathways aren't that simple, it has much more to do with microbes. As parabola said, roots don't utilize molasses they way it's portrayed they do...

Oh, and BTW, there are only 4 macros ;) = N-P-K-Ca

HTH
  • smokinbasser really old fart Posts: 135
    edited October 2008
    I use fish ferts, maxicrop seaweed additive, molasses and a drop or two of superthrive during veg. I add mycorrzia to my bulk soil container so each pot has mycor incorporated in it from the beginning dixie cups to the flower containers . I do know I have great growth from my from seed and clone plants. Molasses continues right up to the final flush for me.I'll point out however it is just one form of carbohydrate that can be added. There is honey, cane sugar(not sure if dark or light brown granulated would make any difference)and probably more I am not familiar with.
  • plainsimple19 Junior Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2008
    1 tblspoon per gallon in 7- 8 weeks and you wil reap the best and smoothest sweetest herb you will ever enjoy . 15 years and never failed
  • oswizzle Junior Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2008
    Flush with Efficent Microbes (EM-1) and Mollasses :) Shit makes your plants diggity dank
    edited December 2008
    Hey oswizzle,

Just a quick note of clarification:
    Flush with Efficent Microbes (EM-1) and Mollasses Shit makes your plants diggity dank

EM = Effective Microorganisms (some vendors of BIM and some sites/people use the term 'Efficient' among others but Effective is the proper term.)

And EM is not something you wold use as a 'flush'. EM adds biology (life) to the media which is required for organic horticulture, life I mean, not EM per say. Molasses isn't generally used to flush, its added to feed microbes and might offer some direct benefit to roots as mentioned earlier by Parabola.

Flushing should generally be used when someone is using chemical fertilizers (salt based). The act of flushing is to 'flush' out the excess salts which can form from chemical fertilizers. It is useless to flush organically grown cannabis.

HTH
  • oswizzle Junior Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2009
    gojo;81685 said:
    Hey oswizzle,

Just a quick note of clarification:

EM = Effective Microorganisms (some vendors of BIM and some sites/people use the term 'Efficient' among others but Effective is the proper term.)

And EM is not something you wold use as a 'flush'. EM adds biology (life) to the media which is required for organic horticulture, life I mean, not EM per say. Molasses isn't generally used to flush, its added to feed microbes and might offer some direct benefit to roots as mentioned earlier by Parabola.

Flushing should generally be used when someone is using chemical fertilizers (salt based). The act of flushing is to 'flush' out the excess salts which can form from chemical fertilizers. It is useless to flush organically grown cannabis.

HTH
    Gojo ...u know ur shit dude....but flushing with EM BioAg from SCDworld....check out the ingredients homie....

Ingredients: Purified and Structured Water, Organic Sugar Cane Molasses, Lactic Acid Cultures, Organic Mineral Powder, Sea Salt, Organic Rice Bran.

i'm just curious how this wouldnt be the bomb for a weekly flush? because many top quality So Cali growers i know all fuck with this....this shit is legit...

and if used right during a your 2 week flush..this shit can bring ur plants out a couple notches nicer