smells like bud

purplehaze2 Senior MemberPosts: 839
edited July 2008 in Indoor
alright my house smells like bud already,I have my 5x5 tent and I have a carbon filter that is hooked up to the end of my light,which isnt the problem. I have an A/C vent hose from my central air conditioner that pumps A/c in the tent, I smell the plants for about a few seconds when the A/C comes on. very feant ! but there only in veg right now,I cant imagine when they start budding. whats the problem here is my pressure out of wack or something, or should I just boot the hole central A/C thing and just wait for my portable A/c unit. I was going to use both for optuim cooling. man thats a good sighn when you have to worry about smell in veg, I know GS said his stink inn veg ,so im pumped but I need to get my smell taking care of. any pointers would help. thanks
Post edited by purplehaze2 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Green SupremeGreen Supreme Plant Manager Heaven BCPosts: 17,347
    edited July 2008
    Need to create negative pressure with your exhaust fan. That way air isn't being forced through the cracks in walls , under doors etc. Its being pulled from everywhere going through the can filter then exhausting the clean air. Good luck. Peace GS
    Nobody wants to plant the corn,everybody wants to raid the barn.
  • purplehaze2 Senior Member Posts: 839
    edited July 2008
    gotcha i didnt have an exaust fan in the room ,but I will put 1 inn .I actually have a good one in storage. I was thinking I should use backdraft damper but I think your right its sucking every were else and not back down threw the vent. would it be better to put the exaust fan in the main room or pull from the tent itself if .I did that I guess I would suck up all the a/c. There is pressure in the tent its swelled up like a ballon, maybe if I pop a vent that would give me neggative air pressure, but then im pumping the funk out of the tent . I guess just mount the fan to the main room, and I will see what happends. thanks a lot GS.
  • guest Posts: 24,389
    edited July 2008
    PH2,

DO you use co2? (if not then IMVHO you should consider it) If you do use C02 i'd think twice about venting the air out of the room. While GS is right: negative pressure from the exhaust fan is a good idea...if you use an exhaust fan.

I use c02 and so I like to use a closed room so little c02 escapes. I seal the windows with that plastic winter film you put over windows (with a hair dryer). This prevents air from leaking out windows. At my door I use that foam with a sicky side that is made to seal doors in the winter...I line the door's jams with it, all the way around. For the floor I add one of the things that prevent cold air from entering or just use a towel.

when I have my room sealed I then use air-cooled hoods. I have an intake line coming from the room on the other side of the wall, pulling in clean and cool air. THen I have an exhaust line going back into the same room, through the wall and into a carbon filter.

I use the 2nd room as a heat sink and when the air is drawn into the light it is already cooled by the other room which is also sealed up.

If you don't have a second room you can use an attic for intake and exhaust of the light.

also, don't put your ballast in the same room as your grow if you can help it...ballasts add unnecessary heat to the room.

by venting the heat from the light you will take away a major portion of the heat in the room.

when using C02 optimal day temp is like 80-85.

For air conditioning a portable unit is OK but I don't like really them. Unless you go for the mac daddy unit which might be better then my past experiences with portable AC untis. THey are energy hogs and they don't cool efficiently enough. YOu need to have an exhaust line for the portable unit, the exhaust should lead to a carbon filter. I like central AC the most as long as the grow room doesn't have an intake, just an outlet for AC into the room. But I like a portable AC unit because you can keep the room at specific levels, not so easy with central AC.

HTH
    edited July 2008
    Oh,

And thanks for the offer on the 600's but I like to use air-cooled "PL Maxima" hood/reflector.

I'm thinking 2 in a 5x5 tent as they offer better coverage over the whole canopy with less shading VS. a single 1000 watt. Or maybe just a few 4x4 tents with a single 600 in each. An air-cooled 600 can be placed about 8-12 inches from the canopy. So the depth penetration of an air-cooled 600 can be about as deep (and possibly deeper) then a 1000 which has to be hung further from the canopy[1]. And the single 10000 watt has less coverage and more shading with a single hot spot. An air-cooled 1000 can be hung like 12-18 inches away from canopy. A 1000 watt 15 inches from canopy will have a similar depth penetration as a 600 hung 10 inches from canopy...

All in all, and IMVHO, 2 air-cooled 600 watt will always beat a single air-cooled 1000 watt.

[1]A bulbs power deceases by a power of 2 with every foot from the canopy. THis is called the "inverse square law" [of light].

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law#Light_and_other_electromagnetic_radiation"]Light and other electromagnetic radiation
    [QUOTE]The intensity (or illuminance or irradiance) of light or other linear waves radiating from a point source (energy per unit of area perpendicular to the source) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source; so an object (of the same size) twice as far away, receives only
    edited July 2008
    hmm i dont know about the penatration these reflectors are bad ass ,there air cooled and its the super size one.ITs twice the size of my 600 reflector, but if you run 2- 600 you have to have twice the fan power or two fans, I wouldnt think 1 fan would cool two lights but I could be wrong. with a tent the heat the main thing.but I will try your carbon filter in the other room it does pump a lot of heat in the main room,I have a side room that connected to my main room, kinda like an attic but its not. and wouldnt the 2 -600 use more power, and 2 more bulbs , and twice the wieght hanging 2 reflectors ,I could put mine on a rail an get the same coverage. it just seems everything is doubled with 2 lights and two more outlets rather than 1. Im going with 2 tents with these 1000 watt reflectors in each tent. thats some power,how good are your reflectors these are sick. and it would be almost twice the heat. hmmm gojo these are some bad mother fuckers. not saying your wrong but IM about do drop the bomb on these ladies.
    edited July 2008
    and the 600 is an air cooled hood.
    edited July 2008
    Hey,

I didn't mean your reflector and hood are no good, they are very good. They are the top of the line I think, I just prefer the PL but I've used those hoods and had great results.

In terms of more stuff with a 600 watt it really doesn't make a difference heat wise. The only things that will contribute a lot of heat are ballasts and bulbs. Keep ballasts in another space and bulbs are air-cooled and your all good.

If you put a 1000 watt on a light rail 3.5 it would be great, but not so easy to do with air-cooled lines...especially in a tent. I think it would be darn near impossible in a tent, that's why I didn't mention it. I've used air-cooled hoods mounted on a mover and it was a real pain to setup and keep-up...I am very anal with the direction of photons and the light is constantly swaying at the ends with air-cooled hood and motor driven. It's doable in a room but it's a pain and IMVHO it's not doable in a tent, but I could be wrong.

Two air-cooled 600 watt is like one air-cooled 1000 watt that is on a mover except the 600 are more efficient and offer more photons with marginal extra heat and watts (electricity bill).

A 1000 watt produces marginally less heat and a good bit less photons than 2 600 watt.

BUt, all this aside, with an air-cooled 1000 watt in a you'll do really well. Hell, that's the 1+ pound grow room possibilities (about 0.5+ gpw)...good luck man!

:rasta:
  • LungusLungus Weed Wizard Posts: 1,388
    edited July 2008
    I've never used anything else but most of the larger guys use 1000W bulbs and I run it a foot off the top of the plants in an Air-cooled hood most of the time to no ill effect. Any closer than 10" can give you some dry spots though, found that out the hard way. As far as I knew penetration depth for a 600W was about 18" away from the bulb whereas there was a decent amount of usable light up to 3' away from a 1000W.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    hey thanks lungus , sweet ! I will need to know that.
    edited July 2008
    And once a week I usually pull all the plants out, check them out and give them a shuffle. I like to put the shorter ones in the middle right under the light and the taller ones around the outside. I raise the light just enough that so that the colas on the outside have direct light hitting the top. In the 5x5 tents I would use a 4x4 table or tray and have a foot around the outside for the plants to have room to splay out. My first room was a storage closet that was 4 1/2 'x 4 1/2' x8' tall and when I moved into the Lungbox, which is 4'x4'x7' the plants felt the pinch and I have never gotten as good of yields out of the Lungbox as the closet and I'm sure it's the slightly smaller space even though I have the same 4'x4' tray in the Lungbox.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    well maybe I should do what you said ,and put 6 in one tent and 6 in the other,and flower both tents . so 6 plants each have a 1000 watter.
    edited July 2008
    I was running 16 3 gal. pots in the storage closet and I can get 15 into the Lungbox because the tower fan takes some space. I pack 'em in pretty tight.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    dam maybe I should just pack them babbies all under 1 light. I have some strawberry ww, ready to go there probabbly 2 inches tall, maybe keep it flippin. decisions decisions, oh yea lungus I got lucky and had 1 outlet out of 6 thats on a different circuit, so no extension cord. and dam you can really pack it inn there. I will have to start ordering more seeds.
    edited July 2008
    That means shorter plants with less veg time.If you do 6 to a tent I would put em in short, wide 5 gal. containers and top them or LST (low stress training= bending over) them so they fill in the canopy without getting too tall.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    hey lungus why is it , if I seperate them it means less veg time and shorter plants,I thought it would be the opposite, I will probably have to top them no matter what any way.
    edited July 2008
    Instead of having to veg them for a month and a half to fill in the canopy you may only have to veg them for 2-3 weeks to fill in the canopy. This is the objective when you have a limited amount of space. Empty holes in the canopy are wasted space so you want plants covering it all but you don't want them too crowded either. This is the idea behind SOG, by placing the plants 6-8" apart they only need to be vegged a few days or a week until they are flowered and this permits one or two more harvests a year, so even though you may harvest a less per round than having bigger plants you more than make up for it by taking more harvests in a year. SOG isn't about single harvest weight it's about harvest weights over time. This is sort of the same.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    cool i see i didnt know that, I want to take clones off every single one of them,am I able to do that in 2 to 3 weeks in veg .they look small to take clones now, but im not sure, what do you think lungus can I clone those babies now there 2 weeks.

I finally figured out why my oder was getting so bad. my reflector is so sealed not a drop of air is pulling threw it, so the carbon filter was usless,so im going to just pump the hot air in another attic like room and put an exuast fan on the outside of the tent going to my carbon filter,and then put a back damper on the a/c vent so nothing,cn suck back to it.if this doesnt work imbuying 1400 btu portable a/c unit that deslaces the heat elsewere.
    edited July 2008
    Get them under that 1000 watter for a couple or three weeks and you will get some skookum (it's a good thing) clones. I generally give the plants a good prune when I trigger them into flower and that's when I make clones most of the time. I also have my mothers, but a lot of the time I use cuttings from vegging plants that are about to be triggered.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    fuck yea lungus thats the plan,you talked me into these 1000 watters and after seeing vapor shit im fucking pumped, Im so glad I got these bad boys. wooo its on friday I take pics and get everything together.thanks for all the help man.
    edited July 2008
    Introduce the plants to the 1000's slowly. Start with the light 2 1/2-3' above the plants, then lower it a few inches every couple of days until your 14-18 or so inches and let the plants start growing towards the light and then as the plants grow keep raising the light just a bit at a time, like 3-4 inches. If you raise the light too much at once the plants will want to stretch to catch it.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    yea the plants are stretching with the 600,the ones on the outside edge are kinda leaning to get the light. I will take clones in 2 weeks and top,I just cant believe how big thes reflectors are. the point you made about the scrog is that the same basic princeable of going vertical. but vertical you use up more of the space