Ebay 50 lb carbon filter

DOZEEDOZEE Herb-SmithPosts: 1,610
edited October 2006 in Equipment
guys i finily got a wicked carbon filter and anic centyerfugel fan...
50 lbs of carbonfilter... is it best to suck or blow into carbon filter?
Post edited by DOZEE on
**DISCLAIMER: I am not currently, nor have I ever grown, smoked, or even seen real marijuana. All of the pictures posted here by me are not my own and I would never think of breaking any law of the United States, no matter how antiquated or stupid.**
Tagged:

Comments

• LungusLungus Weed Wizard Posts: 1,388
    edited September 2006
    DOZEE;41580 said:
    guys i finily got a wicked carbon filter and anic centyerfugel fan...
    50 lbs of carbonfilter... is it best to suck or blow into carbon filter?
    It doesn't matter, what does matter is the time that the air going through the filter is in contact with the charcoal. If it goes by the charcoal too quickly it won't remove all of the microscopic plant material that creates odor. Just make sure that you don't put more cfm's of air through the filter than what it's rated for to get the best results.
    [SIGPIC]image[/SIGPIC]
  • mre420mre420 gone fishin' Posts: 83
    edited September 2006
    DOZEE;41580 said:
    ... is it best to suck or blow into carbon filter?
    Suggest using a fan!

Don't think it matters if you suck or blow, long as there is negative pressure in the grow area relative to ambient.

If your fan is after the filter, suck it.

You could have a small box around the filter and a fan blowing air into the box, through the filter, and out the filter exit...

I always think of the air as "clean" or "unfiltered" and that air having greater or less pressure than ambient.

mre
    Island member of the Interoceanic Cannabis Community.
    edited October 2006
    A reason you may not want to suck is to move the fan further into the flow (perhaps to bury the sound in a cabinet). Based on your post Dozee, would recommend just sucking. Depends upon your design parameters.

I'm a cabinet grower.

For the most part, I suck. Tried blowing before and it stank.

Pics below show an example of blowing that is still sucking. It blows (positive pressure) across the filters, but the scrubber "unit" sucks, creating a negative pressure relative to the stinky grow area.

First pic shows pieces prior to assembly. 2nd is an assemble pvc scrubber. Air flows through the carbon into the 2" pipe in the center and out the top.

3rd pic shows two pvc filters in a scrubber "unit" that also includes the fan (note cutout between two scrubbers). The fan sucks stinky air in from the grow (through the row of holes in the 4th pic), and pushes it down into the scrubber unit and through the pvc scrubbers and out the exit at the top. If stinky air in the scrubber unit leaks it will only go out into the stinky grow room so it's ok.

4th pic is assembled out of the cab. There would be pvc connectors to the two exits that takes the air out of the cab.

Still building the cab. Hope that makes sense.

mre
  • mjcannaboidmjcannaboid Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2006
    blowing is fine unless your filter or ducting leaks and is outside your grow. a prefilter will help keep the fan clean if you blow. if you suck your fan will stay cleaner.
    My body, My mind, My choice.
    edited October 2006
    mjcannaboid;42203 said:
    if you suck your fan will stay cleaner.
    Excellent point mj!
  • Jake BluesJake Blues Senior Member Posts: 124
    edited October 2006
    mre420 how about some more info on that filter.i like your design,it will fit right in with my current cabinet project.i like the cabinet aswell the removeable front instead of a door.not to steal the tread away from dozee.
    If voting could really change things,it would be illegal
    edited October 2006
    Dozee - "consensus is suck out of".

Jake - I think the question has been answered. Good to discuss a grow related topic. This design is ok, I've make 4 of the pvc units and they work great. But, the holes in pvc are still more restrictive than the other design using 1/4 inch mesh which may be better. I like the small size of this for cabs.

I was going to start threads w/ my cab construction but will wait to see what happens with the site. For now, here are a couple other ideas using this...

Thanks for the space in your thread DOZEE.

Here are a couple of a 70w cab. The orig plans didn't work, but this pvc unit worked great! It's a suck design w/ the muffin fan at the end. Bottom portion is the intake and light trap.

Used 1" hole saw in both the 4" and the 2" pvc. Then using a hot glue gun, attach the screen. Cover with filter material and fill w/ carbon. voila.
    edited October 2006
    very nice thank you.i hopefuly we can see the build soon.i like what you`ve done.
    edited October 2006
    Cab: 2ft cube w/ light / filter unit on top. Carbon eliminated all odor.

first pic shows the mum space. Layout the holes as shown. Drill with center drill so drill in hole saw doesn't walk. cover with screen. space was at a premium, so cut pvc connectors a bit to save precious space.
    edited October 2006
    First pic is a view down into scrubber passage. Then the completed pvc scrubber module. Finally installed in cab with lights in place (small flouro is cloning area).

Last two pics are what didn't work. Little gas engine air filter with filter material pulled out (total PITA, not worth the effort in itself) and filled w/ carbon. Fan blew around green material area, through carbon and out exit. Not enough carbon. PVC module works great.

Go kindly,

mre
    edited October 2006
    thats a cool setup.i can see why the lawnmower filter failed lol.
    thanks for the info

jake