Generating your own power

The CannarchistThe Cannarchist Super ModeratorPosts: 3,357
edited March 2013 in Lancifer's Plants
It's about time we started to discus alternative power generation techniques

For those of us who are serious about this profession of ours..

Personally I like the look of Micro Hydroelectric systems at around the 40KVA mark.

I'd like to develop a "drop and play" system for steep slopes ..anyone seen a system they liked?
Post edited by The Cannarchist on
Trailer trash hippie redreck

Comments

• plantbuilderplantbuilder power vs precise language Posts: 2,863
    edited September 2006
  • The CannarchistThe Cannarchist Super Moderator Posts: 3,357
    edited September 2006
    Low head high volume......very nice.
  • c-rayc-ray germinating Posts: 14,778
    edited September 2006
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
    edited September 2006
    google 'stirling engine'
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    edited September 2006
    how's your russian pb?
    edited September 2006
    edited September 2006
    edited September 2006
    water wizzards unite
    'either they kill me or you do' https://www.youtube.com/user/plantbuilder
  • guest Posts: 24,389
    edited September 2006
    edited September 2006
    best way would be a old capped oil well with byproduct is natural gas, run a nat gas generator, surplus units could be gotten, higher the speed, shorter the life
    hydro you need min 75 foot drop at a a large volume, create DC and rectify to AC.
  • The CannarchistThe Cannarchist Super Moderator Posts: 3,357
    edited September 2006
    I was thinking 200 ft head through 2 x 6inch pipes flowing parallel to a mountainside creek leading to 2 x peltier wheel systems attached to 2 x 20kva gensets.

Something along those lines.

I found a few deisel Generators for sale online,cheap as the motors had blown but the gensets were fine.
    edited September 2006
    VC, check this site out
    [URL="http://www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/product.cfm/dp/1200/sd/1201/ts/1017101"]http://www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/product.cfm/dp/1200/sd/1201/ts/1017101

You can only produce dc power with hydro and must convert to AC by using a rectifier, do not waste money on a damaged set,

2 x peltier wheel systems attached to 2 x 20kva gensets.

Do you have means to regulate shaft speed at exactly 1800rpm? Most used gens are single bearing, you will require a two bearing alternator with dual shaft and flex coupling
    edited September 2006
    High maybe but not off, lol......60 cycle AC Voltage synchronous...alternators require constant speed either 900/1200/1800/3600rpm to produce 60 hz, their excition either comes from a PMG excitor or residual voltage

yes the word inverter should have been used instead of rectifier
    edited September 2006
    edited September 2006
    edited September 2006
    all those engines have a designed life of about 2000hours at full load, to get your 8360 hors of life before major overhaul of diesel the mfg recommends funning about 35-30kw , should burn about 3 gallons n hr. Diesel 2.35 gal?, close enough GHopper $6 a hour
    nite time dba in country or open land is about 50-55 even with noisey crickets.............75 dba could be heard from a mile away depending on terrian.......................oil changes and filter changes every 10 days at a cost of about $100.
    edited September 2006
    OK generator gurus......help a guy out here . I`ve moved into a place with free natural gas . I`m looking for a 5K or under generator that`s continuous duty , and having all kindsa` trouble finding anything . And it has to be the slow spin jobbies (1800 rpm ) as I have neighbors within 100 yards or so . I`d like to rig it up in the root cellar and figure out how to muffle the exhaust noise . Out here in the sticks , the 5k would be enough to power up the house during times in the winter when the power goes off due to tree limbs etc . Has anyone heard of cont. duty this small (5KW) that runs on nat gas ? Thanks ! peace...burnie
  • Glass Man Junior Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2006
    burnie said:
    OK generator gurus......help a guy out here . I`ve moved into a place with free natural gas . I`m looking for a 5K or under generator that`s continuous duty , and having all kindsa` trouble finding anything . And it has to be the slow spin jobbies (1800 rpm ) as I have neighbors within 100 yards or so . I`d like to rig it up in the root cellar and figure out how to muffle the exhaust noise . Out here in the sticks , the 5k would be enough to power up the house during times in the winter when the power goes off due to tree limbs etc . Has anyone heard of cont. duty this small (5KW) that runs on nat gas ? Thanks ! peace...burnie

Burnie,
    Look into "Micro co-generation", I think that's what it's called. They are using these units in Europe which generate heat and electricity on a very small scale, for individual homes. I checked out some websites a while back, but had sorta forgotten about it.
    About 10 years ago I was hunting for land with natural gas wells in TN, since I need gas for blowing glass. I never found the right place, but it's great that you have.

Good luck,
    glass
    edited September 2006
    wouldn't be more prudent to run multiple 2kva units?

if your running AC power No, Sync equipment would kill you your running DC power Honda makes a 3000 watt AC gen that they parallel at dc. can get up to 6000watts I believe.
  • Glass Man Junior Member Posts: 339
    edited September 2006
    Gensets just aren't made for long term use. That's going to be your main thing to deal with "long term durability". If you have to pay 2X upfront but get 10X the lifespan, you'll end up being 5X ahead in the end. And that's not including the cost of setting up, shipping charges, etc 5 times. Durability is what you are looking for.
    edited September 2006
    take a look at stirling engines, low rpm, low pressure, flexible fuel source, could be interesting once they are more available

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine
    edited September 2006
    Hey grasshopper, burn has a existing ac synchronous gen as well as AC contractor portable, we discussed in pm, he was looking into converting his gasoline units to nat gas with after market carb kit. I was answering his Q about expense of paralleling AC generators.
    gensets are not designed for 24/7/365 use

I've seen thousands installed that run prime power.

Your idea is both plausable and feasable, but initial outlay of capital I believe exceeds burn's budget, he has a very good old 18hp engine Cast iron engine, whats the gen eff of of your DC alternator and approx cost of alternator alone?
    edited September 2006
    Yeah , now you`re talkin` tj ! I`m waiting and listening . BTW , it`s an old 12 hp Briggs single cylinder . peace...burnie
  • Herb Junior Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2006
    This is some info from Bowers Power Systems web site.

GAS OR DIESEL?

We recommend diesels due to their longevity and lower operating costs. Today
    edited September 2006
    Burnie.............if your only running 2000watts of light, that 12hp has capacity to produce 7kw with a gen eff of .80, thats conservative.
    so with free nat gas, a good 4kw gen can help do the job.....

on the net search for Winco PTO drive AC generator, they use these to run off a stub shaft of farm tractors and you can use a flex coupling and shaft to run it off that engine you have

If not maybe GH can help us with the 48volt DC and we can locate some surplus .com storage batteries and invertor

If you get this far, then
    As far as noise, I can design a silent box made out of plywood and sound absorbing material to quiet that engine.............into the ground with exhaust will work as well, it does create backpressure, I can help take care of that noise too.
    edited September 2006
    Thanks tj ! Think I`ve seen those hard rubber gear sets . Gonna` go look for `em now ! And gonna` check out Winco also . TA!! peace...burnie
    edited September 2006
    Originally Posted by Grasshopper
    ya all think i just fell off the truck last night?
    I hear ya grasshopper and you make alot of since to me. But MacGiver and the boys from the A-Team are hell bent on building their generator. Oh Well! Good Luck!
  • Jake BluesJake Blues Senior Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2006
    great info guys thanks for all the links.
    If voting could really change things,it would be illegal
    edited September 2006
    Herb, the budget is zero, thats why were trying to work thru it, being negative about it or commenting that we don't take Grasshopper advice is nothing but bullshit coming out of your mouth.
    GH has provided excellent data and is very knowlegeable on the subject.....I tip my hat to him.....

you your a fffn troll
    edited September 2006
    Sorry TJ didn't mean to strike a nerve and I'm certainly not a troll. I was trying to support GH and be humorous at the same time. I think my link to the Bowers site was a little more than just bullshit coming from my mouth.

By the way, Making useful things out of junk is what MacGiver and the A-Team were famous for.

Do I think that you can make a dependable generator out of an old 12hp air cooled engine? No

Was I sincere when I wish you guys good luck? Yes