Poppies Harvest Time

Lrus007Lrus007 Hash & Oil makerPosts: 682
so you planted real poppies last fall or spring.
so middle of summer and there in full bloom.
what do you do ? ya lance them and enjoy..
so here's how photo 1 and 2 shows growing
and blooming poppies. ok after poppies bloom
take a look at top crown. on pod photo 3
the pedals just fell off. photo 4 look at crown
notice it's flat on top. not ready yet..
takes 10-14 day's after pedals drop
b4 you do anything. try to not water
very much after blooming. dryer the better..
po1.jpg
1 x 1 - 0B
po2.jpg
1 x 1 - 0B
po3.jpg
1 x 1 - 0B
po4.jpg
1 x 1 - 0B
Post edited by Lrus007 on
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say
all photo's are paintings

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Comments

• Lrus007Lrus007 Hash & Oil maker Posts: 682
    edited August 2006
    ok you have waited
    notice that the crown turns up
    also pod will feel little spungie
    that's how you tell it's ready
    photo 1 well then you take a
    pin or razer blade and lightly
    cut 5-6 slices up and down
    do not cut to deep. photo 2
    then you let set on pod overnight
    to dry onto pod..
    ok next day scrape the goods off
    of pod photo 3 then wait 3-4 day's
    and lance again and collect then
    3-4 days later lance 1 more time.
    after this let pod's dry and collect seeds
    don't water or they could mold after 2nd
    lancing .. when dry collect seed's
    cut pod and 5-6" of stem off and pour seeds
    into something to replant. the left over pod's
    can be used to make tea don't use many..
    it can grow a BIG monkey fast so beware..
    what you have scraped can be smoked
    just takes a lot and high heat..
    it takes 10x as much to get high smoking it
    than it does eating it .. well there ya go
    po5.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    po6.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    po7.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say

• caddiscaddis fish food Posts: 974
    edited August 2006
    Nice stuff! So collecting the milk doesn't hamper seed development? What a great plant.

Thanks, caddis
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” JFK
  • guest Posts: 24,389
    edited August 2006
    Interesting thread. Always wondered just how to collect the resin.

Out of curiosity, how much do you smoke to get to your desired level?

Are seeds available on the net?

hort
    edited August 2006
    I thought you were able to make slits all the way around the outside, on about 2 or 3 seperate occasions. Is that right?
    edited August 2006
    hort
    1/4-1/2 gram smoking it
    yes seeds are out there on net

smith
    yes 1/3 of the pod each time
    or less depending on size of pod
    and yes max 3 times

edited August 2006
    i red those stories of the laced sticks. makes u think twice to smoke with an enemy huh lol
  • leroyleroy Junior Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2006
    I had a pod years ago and lost it. I've always wanted to try and grow some for Temple Balls.
    edited August 2006
    I smoke home-made (White Rock) opium once or twice a year, from an older hippie lady friend of mine, and her Mayne Island Mix (reds, mauves, pinks, whites) collected, dried on a rollie like oil would be, never fails to sit me on my ass, a joint will last me hours (2 - 3), whereas plain bud wouldn't last an hour, hour and a 1/2, and the sit-down effect from the opium-gum, WOWSA.
    Even a hyperactive guy like me gets mellow.

peace - Tug
  • Indica JonesIndica Jones Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2006
    Just ordered some Giganteum Papaver Somniferum seeds. Supposed to have a pod the size of a baseball.
  • spacemanspaceman Civilized worm Posts: 8,537
    edited August 2006
    poppies
    popinski.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    popp2.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    popkeys2.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    edited August 2006
    Love that first shot. Do you ever slit them vertically, vs horizontally?

peace - Tug
  • spacemanspaceman Civilized worm Posts: 8,537
    edited August 2006
    i grew a bunch this year and just played around everyway....
    I made cuts at different times to see how they bleed to see when is the best time.
    you can deffinatly taste the moraphine in the milk when you touch it to your lips....
    It was fun..
    You need to grow a nice field if you really want anything out of it..
    other than that it is just playing around in the garden..
    which is always fun.
    Getting in touch with plants is one of the best things we can do.
    To many people saw my poppies and looked at me with those eyes..
    All i can say, i would rather see for myself. So i learned respect for the poppy peace.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
  • d-lited-lite jebeni igrac Posts: 56
    edited September 2006
    i use to harvest em more times

first the known cuts/slices, because tissue is grwing from top to the base, its best to make diagonica cuts, that ensures most of the milk drips out

another hint, dont cut too strong, the milk might drip into the bulb not ontop the surface , do this in the morning, and by day end, you are able to collect the dried milk more easy

slicing can be done all the time throughout the summer, just give them a few days to rest

wait untll the seeds are ripe, you can hear them when shaking, now its tinme for the final harvest: cut down the bulb , dry it, open it, seperate the seeds , now you are left with many dried crumbeld poppie material ...

which is exellent material for making tea ...

and while here, i like to say a few words of consuption:
    imho the best way, to expierience opium is by far not to smoke it lol
    eat / swallow it - and get the ride of your life

its the analogy of tea (which has a long tradition here, some hundred years) , which made me try eating the opium ... well by eating i mean, wrap into a rolling paper and swallow it, its too bitter to eat it "uncoverd"

the same goes for the tea, first timers wont be disguessed, but with time you will start to hate the smell & taste , so it neccessary to mask the ugly sensation, we use the dried step juice (a strong powder concentrate) to mask the taste

with those methods, you can have a lot of fun with just a few plants

never make tea of fresh poppies, it wont have the desired effect and will promote sickness
    same for opium / milk , let it dry at least a day, until its complete oxidized and brown

hf tripping (yeah its a 12h to 24h journey) :)
  • Mickey Spliff Junior Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2006
    I've had alot of experience with poppies, and it is not true that the fresh pods or latex won't have the desired effect, nor will they make you sick (unless you over indulge). In fact, many people claim the fresh pods are stronger. Also, your right that pod tea or eating opium will form a strong habit over time that is hard to kick. The effect lasts much longer oraly than vaporized opium, and is much nicer in my opinion.

Watch out for addiction, it will sneak up on you and can make your life a wreck. A good site for poppies is poppies.org, lots of good info on use, cultivation, and addiction and recovery. Read some of the struggles of tea heads trying to get clean, and you can see how hard it can be to stop once you have a habit. The most potent pod available comes from a strain grown in Tasmania.
  • crewcrew of clones in waiting. Posts: 90
    edited September 2006
    Lady poppy is a beautiful gift, just don't like her too much. She will sneak up on you, with her warmth and glow, before you ever realize it. When you try to leave her, she is the nastiest bitch ever put on this earth. More than a couple times a week, she's got you.
    peace, crew
  • d-lited-lite jebeni igrac Posts: 56
    edited September 2006
    Mickey Spliff said:
    I've had alot of experience with poppies, and it is not true that the fresh pods or latex won't have the desired effect, nor will they make you sick (unless you over indulge). In fact, many people claim the fresh pods are stronger.
    well claiming and knowing are two different pairs of shoes:

i made a coulpe of times tea from fresh green pods - nothing , the same pods quickdried in the oven worked awesome

back to the sickness : in fresh pods you can find alkaloids which will promote sickness (throwing up and stomak problems) , those alkaliods will isomerizize by oxidation to "stomak" freindly alkaloids

and another thing "the so called addiction" from my point of view : there is no addiction .. its a summer drug (when poppies are availible) and i did it nearly dayly for many weeks , each year ... well im not addicted .. its all in your head... never had any withdrawl syptoms, but im not the type of guy to get addicted by brainfood or other substances ...

greetz
  • saskafarian mornin' Posts: 77
    edited September 2006
    http://www.izmirpoppy.com/index.php

This is a Canadian site that sells a nice variety of poppy seeds. I have grown poppies for a few years as an ornamental.
    With my record of overindulgence with any number of drugs, I tend to shy away from the opiates.
    Eat the Rich
  • Mickey Spliff Junior Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2006
    Well, it was based on personal experience, as well as reports from others. I'm not sure why you didn't get good results. I agree there are likely different alkaloids and other substances in fresh pods that could change the effect on the body. As far as addiction goes, I believed I was immune to addicton based on my experience with other substances. If you use poppies over a long enough period of time, you will have physical withdrawls that are very real, and that is the easiest part to deal with, it's the mental part that will make it so hard to quit. You can expect depression and feeling like the life has been sucked out of you until your endorphins replenish. I have a friend who has grow poppies for years, just indulging for a couple of months during the summer until the supply runs out. He felt physical withdrawls for the first time after last year's Tasmanian crop ran out. I'm sure many people can enjoy opium harmlessly if they can limit thier usage, the danger is in the subtle way you slowly get pulled in to regular use.
  • Green SupremeGreen Supreme Plant Manager Heaven BCPosts: 17,347
    edited September 2006
    Its not for the weak willed thats for sure.Every person I've ever gotten poppy extracts from has become addicted and stops getting it for me.Its not for everyone thats for sure.Peace GS
    Nobody wants to plant the corn,everybody wants to raid the barn.
  • lucheebalucheeba Stiffy Fingers Posts: 170
    edited September 2006
    Indica Jones said:
    Just ordered some Giganteum Papaver Somniferum seeds. Supposed to have a pod the size of a baseball.
    Hey IJ, where did ya ordered from? Can ya post the link please?
    Peace
    Lu
  • dert Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2006
    Cheap and easy opium tea -

buy poppy seeds at whole foods (I can vouch for these, but you could probably get em cheaper in bulk elsewhere), soak for 20 minutes in tap hot water, filter and drink. The taste is nasty, but the buzz is great. Two packs (0.72 lb) costs like $4.50 and gives me a 6 hour buzz. as mentioned, caveat emptor, and do it in moderation.
    edited November 2006
    danimal;47806 said:

freebase it.

I'm a baser......? lmao

peace - Tug
  • sonny Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2007
    question? can one grow poppys in a hydro system>? and how long will it take? thanks
    edited March 2007
    it's time to make a planting patch..
    just spread seed lightly on top of soil
    wait till last frost is over ..

• c-rayc-ray germinating Posts: 14,636
    edited March 2007
    should I cover the seeds with plastic or something, if it gets sunny, so the seeds don't dry out?
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
    edited March 2007
    just spread out on fine soil
    they don't need any cover.
    when it rains they will sprout.
    they can even make it thru if
    it snow's a little. you can plant
    in the fall. but i like spring planting..
    there pretty tough. But slugs like them
    so i plant a little leaf lettice around them.
    they like it better lol.. happy growing season

to kill slugs fill spray bottle of ammonia.
    1 spray they melt . slug bait also very handy.

• c-rayc-ray germinating Posts: 14,636
    edited March 2007
    cool thanks man
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
  • spacecadet Junior Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2007
    JUST ORDER 2500 ASSORTED Papaver Somniferum HOW DO I KNOW I GOT THE REAL DEAL OR COULD THESE BE FAKE
  • Green SupremeGreen Supreme Plant Manager Heaven BCPosts: 17,347
    edited March 2007
    Plant'em. You won't know till you see what comes up. Pretty hard to tell from looking if the seeds were irradiated. Good luck. Peace GS
    Nobody wants to plant the corn,everybody wants to raid the barn.