Force flowering outdoors!?

outdoordreamsoutdoordreams student of herbPosts: 1,790
edited October 2011 in Outdoor
So I have been moving plants in and out of the tarps.......some for over 5weeks now.....some just starting.........

I have a question for all experienced growers.........I know it will be strain dependent, but what would be a good guess for when I no longer have to tarp them and mother nature will take over........?Im thinking aug. 15 or maybe sooner.....maybe later????

Im going to experiment this summer but would love any input, as it will save me alot of time..........

I already have some that are revegging even after being under for 3weeks, but they went back out in the bush 2weeks ago now or maybe a little longer, so that was when the days were longer.......

I have one 007 in full bud about 4 1/2 weeks into flower and it only sees the tarps once in awhile, but has not revegged at all........

I think this answer is very strain dependent but again any advice is welcome.....

I also heard that some people put there plant in the dark for three full days and nights and this triggers pretty well????????When should I do this??????Again I will experiment, but any advice is great......

Thanks, and a peaceful summer to all.....
Post edited by outdoordreams on

Comments

• c-rayc-ray germinating Posts: 14,824
    edited July 2006
    here's a good tool
    http://host1.farmzone.com/inter/tools/moonsun/index.htm
    usually around 15 hours of daylight is when most indicas stay flowering if they've been flowering already, but as you've said it's strain dependant
    you can also use this tool to figure out when to put plants out into a suitable heated/dehumidified structure for fall and winter bonus crops, ie usually early september and early march
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
  • The CannarchistThe Cannarchist Super Moderator Posts: 3,357
    edited July 2006
    Aug 15th @ 50Nth from my personal experience.
    Trailer trash hippie redreck
  • guest Posts: 24,389
    edited July 2006
    Hey guys. Thanks for bringing this topic up Outdoordreams. Very timely.

I currently have a monster sized Sour Bubble bx3 outdoors that just began showing her white hairs about a week ago, but we're still at just over 15 hours of daylight around Vancouver.

The bush is in a 25 gallon container, so I've moved her into the afternoon shade, which I'm hoping will help keep her steadily blooming.

With all the intense west coast sunshine available, it seems a shame to have it placed in the shade, but I don't want her to revert to veg.

If she stays flowering, she'll be ready to harvest by the end of September. Otherwise, she'll be compost because I'm unable to move her indoors.

Any comments?... Techniques? Ideas?

Thanks! Happy gardening.
    edited July 2006
    lowering the nitrogen, increasing the phosphorus helps too
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    edited July 2006
    I used to carry my pots in n out everyday and set in garden..ganjeden shared this method with me and I( have had good sucess)..I put the plants in 3 gallon nursury pots, after June 21st, (summer Solice) I went to 3 days total darkness then broght them out 11-11.5 hours a day, they finished end of September. The Strains were Northern lights and AK47 (The AK I have has a autoflower or preflower at 8 weeks veg.)
    edited July 2006
    Sir Nice guy,

Hop down to the case del pot at 1st by the flyover up to commercial.They have nice furniture dolly's so you can sit your pot on it and move her into the darkness with ease.You have to keep her in that full on sunlight for the max rewards that forcing in the summer can give.
    edited July 2006
    c-ray said:
    lowering the nitrogen, increasing the phosphorus helps too
    Taken care of that C-Ray. Thanks for that nonetheless. Gotta admit, in my anxious state concerning trying to get the whole flowering process going full speed ahead, I have added some Superbud to the high phosphorous/bloom feed. Just 2 doses is all. I'm not adding anymore and I'll be flushing her by the weekend. We'll see how she's affected, if at all. Hope the sb doesn't turn her into sh*t.
    The Cannarchist said:
    Sir Nice guy,

Hop down to the case del pot at 1st by the flyover up to commercial.They have nice furniture dolly's so you can sit your pot on it and move her into the darkness with ease.You have to keep her in that full on sunlight for the max rewards that forcing in the summer can give.
    Thanks for the suggestion TC. I found a huge visqueen/poly bag that fits over the entire bush and container... Right on down to the ground. I put a few slices into the bag near the ground level to allow for some extra air flow. It will remain covered from 7pm to 7am each day. Also, I took your advice and brought her into the full sun during the day.

Peace.

sng
    edited July 2006
    an alternative is to cover at say 5 pm, and remove the cover when it's dark, that way you still get the 12 hours dark but less time under cover, and you get to sleep in ;)
    edited July 2006
    i would normally be switching from Alaska Fish Fertiliser (20-20-20) to Alaska Morebloom ( 0-10-10 )right now for outdoor
    i am force flowering a few little plants under a cheap plastic picnic (BBQ) table ( in dark 8pm til 8 am ) using table in unison with black white poly
    all but one of my plants go to bed at 8 pm
    i like them well rested for next day sun
    i am using New Canna Boost which is a boost accelerator and helps in the early stages of flower
    I Am Impressed by its results, which are evident, no doubt about it
    also 50th, and now only fond memories
    Joe
  • Monseigneur StroganoffMonseigneur Stroganoff Posts: 4,389
    edited July 2006
    www.grobots.com

"Optional solar kit includes a solar panel, 12VDC gel battery and charge controller."

ALBI
    edited July 2006
    nice link albi
    money no object; that would make a fine "Sweatlodge"
    i will post a link from a popular magazine (Canadian) which will show you several cheaper methods, ones you can use safely in the bush as well as the back garden
    its an oldie, but a goodie
    i do know of folk that grow in sheds with flat roofs, and plant straight into the soil the shed is sitting on
    the roof is made from a material that lets sun in , but keeps eyes out
    when forcing , its then a simple matter of rolling back a sheet of black/white/black visqueen every morning at 8 am and covering up at 8 pm

if forcing small plants, try and find an old broken chest freezer with lift up lid;
    remove cooling motor to allow adequate ventilation ( you can also grow in chest freezers, summer and winter as they are insulated; makes for a great sog set up, btw)

anyways to find that link
    back soon
    Joe
    edited July 2006
    c-ray said:
    here's a good tool
    http://host1.farmzone.com/inter/tools/moonsun/index.htm
    usually around 15 hours of daylight is when most indicas stay flowering if they've been flowering already, but as you've said it's strain dependant
    you can also use this tool to figure out when to put plants out into a suitable heated/dehumidified structure for fall and winter bonus crops, ie usually early september and early march
    i been tripping mine since july 2 :) got a shed.

dude i got a whole pile of strains indica and sativa WN etc. what you think about for sativas... same? or less light.. :)
    edited July 2006
    a natural occurance;
    increased temperatures , or High Temps equals excess Nitrogen Intake
    introducing Bloom type nutes ( 0-10-10 ) or a more exotic concoction will accelerate pre flowering
    i normally applied three doses of bloom out in the bush before the end of August
    for a harvest in late september / early august
    JKP
    edited July 2006
    OK.. just wanting to state that my intention was not to hijack Outdoordreams' thread.. It's simply a very pertinent one to the season and I really appreciate you putting it up here. I'll start another if you (OutDoorD) would prefer.
    c-ray said:
    an alternative is to cover at say 5 pm, and remove the cover when it's dark, that way you still get the 12 hours dark but less time under cover, and you get to sleep in ;)
    Brilliant as always bro. I just may take in an extra 40.5 winks in the a.m. thanks to you ;)
    Joe King Park said:
    i would normally be switching from Alaska Fish Fertiliser (20-20-20) to Alaska Morebloom ( 0-10-10 )right now for outdoor
    i am force flowering a few little plants under a cheap plastic picnic (BBQ) table ( in dark 8pm til 8 am ) using table in unison with black white poly
    all but one of my plants go to bed at 8 pm
    i like them well rested for next day sun
    i am using New Canna Boost which is a boost accelerator and helps in the early stages of flower
    I Am Impressed by its results, which are evident, no doubt about it
    also 50th, and now only fond memories
    Joe
    Appreciate the pro advice bro. Re. Canna Boost.. Damn... Another concoction to consider experimenting with ;)
    I'v decided to let the pots dry out really well for a day or so and just foliar feed today.
    With all the organic & chem bloom stuff I got moderately mixed into today's foliar food I suspect the plants will be well into the clouds by morning. LOL!

I applied DM Penetrator/DM Folitech Flower/DM Potash+/Grotek Bud Start/Grotek Pro-Silicate/Dr. Willard's Catalyst Altered Water and a small dash of Nitrozyme.

Consider this: Whatever my Sour Bubble is receiving is also being fed to a Sensi Star which is the same age as the SB... (SS is apparently notoriously sensitive to nutes). So far, the SS has only shown the tiniest sign of spotting on a few of her leaves from the smorgasbord of nutes. The SS is also as big as the SB, so something's gotta be going alright in them.
    Albi said:
    www.grobots.com
    "Optional solar kit includes a solar panel, 12VDC gel battery and charge controller."

ALBI
    Cool link Albi. In fact, it's given me an idea which may make use of a couple of extra Light Rail 3.1's & their tracks I have laying around; makings for a jury-rigged automated shading system. Hmmmm.... :)))

Thanks guys. This thread is invaluable IMHO.

Peace.
    edited July 2006
    It's the real future of growing
  • outdoordreamsoutdoordreams student of herb Posts: 1,790
    edited July 2006
    This thread is developing nicely. Thanks for all the input......

How much for one of those bulky light reduction contraptions?....
    edited August 2006
    Well I tripped a 007 and a Godbud clone at beggining of aug....3 days in and out of the tarps (so 12hour dark period). Both strains flower very quickly when helped.......

I stopped tarping everything the other night (too much)....so hopefully we will continue to flower and not reveg......
    edited September 2007
    Sativas are very photoperiod sensitive, dont undertarp the sativas! Going into September would be recommened!
  • dpndpn Senior Member Posts: 723
    edited September 2007
    so with most strains could you tarp for a month to jump start the process and then not bother?
    I do not particularly like the word "work." Human beings are the
    only animals who have to work, and I think this is the most ridiculous
    thing in the world. Other animals make their livings by living, but people
    work like crazy, thinking that they have to in order to stay alive. The
    bigger the job, the greater the challenge, the more wonderful they think it
    is. It would be good to give up that way of thinking and live an easy,
    comfortable life with plenty of free time.
    Masanobu fukuoka
    edited September 2007
    Depends on the strain....................And it depends on the time of year!!!
    If you tarp early in the season, you will find most plants need continued tarping, especially anything with sativa genetics...........and if you tarp later in the year, let say begining of august in Canada, then some stains will need only a couple days to help them along, others will need two weeks plus.........

Im still unsure about pure sativa, but futher experiments are begging to be preformed!!!!!
  • ghostryderghostryder professional grower Posts: 161
    edited February 2008
    you can "force" flowering indoor by using the 36 hour darkness trick so do the same outside. you can speed up the flowering process by about 2 weeks. if you watch your outdoor carefully most strains will show their sex briefly in the veg stage. you can then chop the males.

i've done the sativas and sativa dom hybrids outside for years in and about the 51th latitute. you can use big black garbage bags for 1 day or 2.
    weird sense of humor here, im sorry in advance! hehehe
    edited February 2008
    At what time of the year do you do this 2day tarp?

Im tempted to do more indoor varieties again this year. two days tarps sound far easier! Let us know more of your technique.
    edited March 2008
    our season runs roughly april/may planting as soon as the frost is out of the ground. after approximately 8 weeks, you can sometimes see the veg'ing plant show sex. this is when i garbage bag them. we can usually get 3 out of 6 grow sites. then we do the others. 80% of the time the plants keep flowering so july is the start and september/oct the finish. if it goes past oct, we harvest what we can.
    edited March 2008
    but garbage bags are not light tight...do you use a special brand of garbage bag?
    edited March 2008
    i use the industrial 20 gal. size! canadian gallon and tie it as closed as we can. sometimes you have to enclose the plant with twine and squeeze it together - some strains are bushy. i never really bother with light outdoor as much as indoor, you get full moons, lightening, car head lights, ect...

its the direct sunlight you want to shut out. i buy the bags at a wholesale discount shop for about a dollar each and they can be reused. these are black poly - like the type you see at provincial parks in 45 gallon drums.
  • Cheese Wiz Junior Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2008
    With all this said. I am at 35.25 N, we never got above 15h of Day light. Facts are we get 14h 45min June 21. I brought this up in a "Outdoor" forum recently. If Indica start flowering at 15 then maybe my Kush will keep on rolling and not revert? What do you folks think?
  • Green SupremeGreen Supreme Plant Manager Heaven BCPosts: 17,347
    edited May 2008
    Can't honestly say for sure, but you can't win if you don't play.Good luck man. Peace GS
    Nobody wants to plant the corn,everybody wants to raid the barn.
    edited May 2008
    Sunrise: 5:48am
    Sunset: 8:20pm
    Moonrise: 10:47pm
    Moonset: 8:21am

Here is the longest day of the year at 35.25n. By my calculations this is 14H 28 min, but I was never any good at math?
    edited May 2008
    You have to add about 2 hrs for "Twilight" , No direct sun but enough to stimulate the plants out of Night time.
    edited May 2008
    Very good.