The Real Deal Cannabutter Recipe!!!!

outdoordreamsoutdoordreams student of herbPosts: 1,781
edited December 2012 in Recipes
The Real Deal Cannabutter Receipe, anybody have it.......
I keep getting so many different stories, cook it for 10 hours, cook it for 2 hours, cook it only in the brownie, brown it in the pan, cook it for 6 hours,......

Could someone find out the real reciepe. I keep experimenting with my patient, but experimenting with a dying person is not ideal......nor is wasting goood medicine...............Please help.....

I want all suggestions, but please dont post if you dont know...........
I will keep searching for the answers.

Peace and health to all......
Post edited by outdoordreams on

Comments

• guest Posts: 24,389
    edited July 2006
    fwiw
    edited July 2006
    3 cups ground up leaf and bud
    2 cups water
    2 sticks butter
    bring water to a boil
    add butter
    add weed
    turn down to simmer
    cover and cook 2 hours stirring occasionally and add additional water if necessary
    when complete strain out all liquid into a tall plastic container
    squeeze all liquid from plant matter into the tall container
    (you can squeeze through a strainer, cheesecloth, your hands, whatever just get as much liquid out of the herb and into the container as you possibly can)
    discard the herb
    cover your container and put it in the freezer
    when frozen most of the plant mater will fall to the bottom and the butter and the water will have seperated leaving a large block of ice in the bottom of the container
    cut the ice and butter apart
    you will have a nice slab of pure butter that will melt down to about 1/2 cup use it all for one batch of BettyCrocker cookies
    -melo
    edited July 2006
    Here's how I do it - usually, one cookie/brownie does the trick!

Ingredients:

8oz. dried trim (a 1 gal ziplok bag, bulging full) - stems are OK, if they are short/cut-up.
    1lb (four sticks) unsalted butter
    water

You'll also need:
    * A large Crock pot with a lid
    * A bowl, large enough to hold all contents of the crock pot (about a gallon) - I like glass, but metal or plastic will work
    * Space in the refrigerator, to chill the bowl of liquid
    * Colander (for draining spaghetti)
    * Cheese cloth (fabric stores sell it - cut a piece 3 ft long x 1ft wide - fold it into thirds - three thicknesses)
    * Small glass bowl or tupperware
    * Paper towel

Preparation:
    Put trim in large crock pot, add water till the green matter is just covered with water. Place butter on top of the greem matter.

Cook on low for 12 to 24 hours - do not boil away the water - add a bit of water if needed to keep green matter just covered in liquid. A tip is to minimize the amount of water - you'll understand when you have to drain/strain later. Stir it up with a spoon- I do it about once an hour, and stir gently for maybe 3-4 minutes each time. The idea here is to get the trichomes & butter together - the butter "absorbs" the trichomes

After cooking, allow to cool until you can put you hand in and not get burned.

Place bowl in sink, set colander inside the bowl, fold cheesecloth into a 12"x12" square (3 thicknesses), lay cheeze cloth inside colander.

Slowly, pour all the warm liquid and green matter into colander - allow liquid to drain through. After it has drained comes the hard part.

Gather 4 corners of cheesecloth together, and twist out the liquid from the green matter. This is MUY importante, since lots of THC-laden butter still remains inside the green matter. Squeeze & twist it dry! (this is why we allow it to cool to touch - otherwise your hands are scalding your at this point)

Remove colander from bowl, place bowl in refrigerator overnite - (not the freezer!) till the liquid cools, and a layer of hardened butter will float on top of the liquid. This takes several hours to overnite - don't hurry it.

NOW you want to "clean it up a bit" - getting rid of the smelly/gross remaining plant matter/water.

Remove hardened butter from bowl (you can break up the layer of butter -just be careful not to spill the water underneath it).

Place the hardened butter chunks in a small saucepan & reheat just till it melts. Pour the re-melted cannabutter into a small glass bowl or tupperware. Allow it to harden again, in the small bowl/tupperware.

After it hardens, remove from the bowl & wipe the green smelly watery goo (residual water & unpleasant-tasting green matter) from the underside of the hardened butter using a paper towel.

I usually re-melt this final block of butter (which is technically, clarified cannabutter) and store it in a small ziploc or tupperware storage container, and keep it in the freezer till I use it.

To use the canna-butter:

Be sure to check to see how much OIL or Butter the recipe requires - I try to find a mix that uses 3-4 ounces. I like Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookies, or Double Chocolate Brownies.

Note: If the recipe calls for "oil" - no problem. Just melt the butter - only till it melts, and mix with other liquid ingredients (water/egg). Then, pour all liquid ingredients into the cookie/brownie mix.
    ........If it calls for butter - leave it out till it softens / warms to room temp.

PM me to let me know how it turns out!
  • Glass Man Junior Member Posts: 339
    edited July 2006
    I've been making mine as per Melo's instructions and it works great. Actually mine were too potent, so I just eat 1/4 to 1/2 cookie or 1 whole cookie if it's a party. I didn't actually weigh my weed, but used a 1/2 gallon ice cream tub packed with bud which was too leafy to trim. I guestimate it was about 1/4 lb per 1 lb of butter.

I recently bought a book called : "Marijuana Cooking, good medicine made easy" for $10

It has 4 different extraction methods, 2 using butter and 2 using cooking oil. They said to use 1 oz herb to 1 lb of butter. That would explain why mine were so strong!

The book said cooking with water, butter, and weed is best, but it takes the longest to make. I got stoned just making mine!

Now that I have cookies I really prefer eating them to smoking. The buzz is very nice and smooth and long lasting. Plus it's a very discrete. You could even eat em' at church. ;)

GM

ps If you chew the cookie a long time the buzz will come on quicker
  • ViReddViRedd Senior Member Posts: 1,031
    edited July 2006
    "I got stoned just making mine!"

Yeah, one time while making cookies, I made the mistake of licking the spoon a few times. I woke up in bed not remembering how I got there. *lol*

Vi
  • outdoordreamsoutdoordreams student of herb Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2006
    Thanks for all the imput here everyone.....but again Im getting very different responses.......24 hours to 2 hours.......??????

Still looking for more responses.........

I have made many many batches of butter myself for use for my med patient, but am looking for the THC conversion time and heat ranges, ect, ect......anybody?????

I have made 2hour butter, and up to 12 hour butter which I let sit over night then reheated to measure into portions, so it was hot for nearly 24.......
    All seem to be effective but then again I use only top grade shake and I use 4oz per lb, so Yeah they are strong.......and my patient wishes they were stronger (MS can be a real bitch)......hopefully this years crop will be more potent, but still would be nice to have the REAL deal reciepe.....

Next important question?????????Can I use fresh shake (wet) to make a batch next week, cause he is running out and I want to let my plants mature as much as possible before having to chop.......

I also leave the bud in the budder now as it adds extra roughage to his diet, and doesnt compromise the taste of the granola bars I make him.....But with fresh grass I think Ill have to strain it, because usually I bud bust the premium shake so it is easier to chew..................???thoughts?????
    edited August 2006
    The REAL DEAL butter.
    All the above receipes will work.
    The important parts are this:
    DO NOT BOIL AWAY ALL THE WATER, AS THEN THE BUTTER WILL SCALD.

IN THE HEATING STAGE YOU ONLY NEED A SLOW ROLLING BOIL. ANY TIME FRAME WILL WORK, ABOUT 6 HOURS MIN THOUGH.

USE THE HIGHEST QUALITY BUTTER( POSSIBLE. WITH THE HIGHEST FAT CONTENT(EUROPEAN BUTTER IS USUALLY THE HIGHEST/BEST QUALITY).

USE MANY LAYERS OF CHEESCLOTH TO REMOVE PLANT MATTER. IT TASTES LIKE SHIT OR LAWN GRASS.

IF YOU NEED MORE ROUGHAGE USE OATS OR WHEAT OR SOMETHING WITH FLAVOR, NOT PLANT MATERIAL.

YES YOU CAN USE FRESH MATERIAL TO MAKE BUTTER.

Sorry for caps., brain fade.

pp69
    edited August 2006
    Outdoordreams,
    You seem to know the basics of making butter. The book I have says to heat & cool repeatedly (over a couple of days time) for maximum potency. Try that, if it works report it back here to us.

I also use 4oz per lb of butter, which does make very strong cookies. If multiple cookies aren't suffecient for your friend's pain you obviously need to begin with more potent herb. Some varieties have a "ceiling" and will only take you so far. Have you tried working with pure indicas and/or pure sativas? Perhaps working with the most potent of each would offer deeper relief.

Good luck,
    GM
    edited August 2006
    I used very good Godbud shake which included many baby buds, the shake made very nice bubblehash, so the majority of the shake that went into the butter was pretty dank (no I dont run my trim before making butter)...........Im thinking it may be his tolerance level, cause the first batch made him a zombie sometimes, now 6months later, they still work, just not as intense, he just really likes it strong, so he doesnt have to take so many other prescription pills. Yes he has had only 1 or 2 oxicoton(spelling?) in the last six month which is music to my ears.........cause that shit is nasty.......he also sleeps through the night now, which help his wife sleep.............He explains there is no better medicine in his opinion than the granola bars.........So hopefully this 007 strain bring him the relief he needs....

Thanks again for all the information everyone......You all rock.....
    edited August 2006
    Well I tried the overnight multi simmer technique with fresh bottom buds of 007......Not sure how much I used looked like a large oz.........Simmered it about 6 times over 16hours before finally blending it in a blender and added it all to the granola mix, then cook, my med patient claims he finds a few stingy pieces but is overall very happy with his new batch of medicine........

Thanks again to all how are sharing their exeriences.......
  • mre420mre420 gone fishin' Posts: 83
    edited August 2006
    outdoor - thanks for bringing this info out, very useful. Have been successful but went the speed route and no water, just butter in herb straight to brownies. Worked great, but will do MUCH better in the future.

..but why not strain the bitter cannabis plant matter? Maybe your patient did mean stingy and not stringy? hehe Grab some nice small dried seedlike somethin somethin's that really make them bars taste great, and provide nutrition that the body can more easily digest and use. You'll have the best medicinal granola in town! good luck gettin those cookies dialed in. Sorry can't help w/ specific temps, at least water boils well below thc vaporizes.

outdoordreams, you indicated tolerance may play a factor - think switching to the 007 helped? GlassMan - interesting comment on the ceiling. How are tolerance and ceiling related?
    Island member of the Interoceanic Cannabis Community.
  • mre420mre420 gone fishin' Posts: 83
    edited September 2006
    outdoor - hope all is well with you and your patient. and you are enjoying the 007.

mre
    Island member of the Interoceanic Cannabis Community.
    edited September 2006
    mre420 said:
    ? GlassMan - interesting comment on the ceiling. How are tolerance and ceiling related?

I'm not a professional shrink, but the way I think about tolerance and ceiling would be that a "ceiling" means you can reach the herb's limit. So, if the herb's ceiling in extremely high (or claimed to have no ceiling) you will keep getting higher (or more relief) as you consume more.

Then "tolerance" means your mind/body has grown accustomed to the medicine and requires more to have the same effect. If that's the case the "ceiling" will be reached eventually, through tolerance.

If tolerance is reached, even with the most potent herb available or with one which is claimed to have "no ceiling" I would think trying sativa vs indica (or visa versa) might help. If that doesn't work, then I'd say a break from cannabis until the mind/body is cleansed would be needed. Perhaps other herbs/medicine and/or therapy(s) might be tried.

peace,
    GM
  • smokin izzy farmer Posts: 86
    edited July 2009
    im waiting for mine to finish its first chill in the frig now it has been in there for about two hours now, i bought some betty crocker oatmeal cookies, i cant wait!
    i slow cooked about 4 or 5 oz of sugar leaves,fan leaves,and small buds in a crock pot for almost 18 hours with one lb of unsalted land o lakes sweet butter,
    did my strain and squeeze this morning, i plan on melting one more time and cooling because i read it will help with the end flavor, i also used alot of the stuff that comes out of my vaporite, hope i got the recipe right so far.
    everything i state is a lie for entertainment purposes only.
  • BramBram A-Salaam-U-Alaikum Posts: 2,457
    edited July 2009
    next time you can do boil the weed with the butter for just 20-25 minutes at about 275*f. makes deadly butter. the problem with boiling for a long time, esp at high temps is you will blow off alot of the goodness. remember thc vaporises at 375*f and other goodies blow off at lower temps then that.
    I steal from those who try and help me.
  • potpots Junior Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2009
    Hello Masters, I never use water. I simply add 1 oz. trim & popcorn bud to 1 lb. melted butter in a 2 qt. saucepan. Bring mix to simmer (not a rolling boil, don't want to burn the butter) for at most 15 min. Once the THC and butter are melted it doesn't take that long for them to fuse together. Then I strain with a qt. wire sieve into the recycled low budget 1/2 qt jars. Careful now!

[ATTACH]18746[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18747[/ATTACH]

peace, ppots
    2007_05014200004.JPG
    1 x 1 - 0B
    2007_05014200013.JPG
    1 x 1 - 0B
  • smokin izzy farmer Posts: 86
    edited July 2009
    i made the mistake of eating five of the cookies i made and started tripping pretty bad, it took like two hours for me to realize i was feeling the effects.
    everywhere i have read talked about " body high" but i had no idea...
    all i can say is i was numb all night, when the high started to mellow out more i giggled at everything on tv that was even a little funny. i believe two to three next time will be a better trip for me, i have a dozen left and some more butter,
    everything i state is a lie for entertainment purposes only.
  • spacemanspaceman Civilized worm Posts: 8,537
    edited July 2009
    i have gotten lsd like effects from brownies.,.,mmmm mmmm
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
  • Green SupremeGreen Supreme Plant Manager Heaven BCPosts: 17,347
    edited November 2009
    Have found that putting the material into a ladies nylon stocking makes it easier to remove at the end. Peace GS
    Nobody wants to plant the corn,everybody wants to raid the barn.
  • Striker Junior Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    I once had a link to Puff Momma's cookbook but it's dead now. Anyone have a copy to post? I still have the Peanut Budder Cookie recipe. Her method of cooking involved recipies that were cooked at a max temp of 220 F. The budder was made by boiling water pot and butter for 6 hours stirring every half hour then strain using cheesecloth.
  • blat Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2010
    outdoordreams;25497 said:
    Thanks for all the imput here everyone.....but again Im getting very different responses.......24 hours to 2 hours.......??????

Still looking for more responses.........

I have made many many batches of butter myself for use for my med patient, but am looking for the THC conversion time and heat ranges, ect, ect......anybody?????

I have made 2hour butter, and up to 12 hour butter which I let sit over night then reheated to measure into portions, so it was hot for nearly 24.......
    All seem to be effective but then again I use only top grade shake and I use 4oz per lb, so Yeah they are strong.......and my patient wishes they were stronger (MS can be a real bitch)......hopefully this years crop will be more potent, but still would be nice to have the REAL deal reciepe.....

Next important question?????????Can I use fresh shake (wet) to make a batch next week, cause he is running out and I want to let my plants mature as much as possible before having to chop.......

I also leave the bud in the budder now as it adds extra roughage to his diet, and doesnt compromise the taste of the granola bars I make him.....But with fresh grass I think Ill have to strain it, because usually I bud bust the premium shake so it is easier to chew..................???thoughts?????

I use 50g of high potency bud trim to 1lb of butter. I never use wet trim, as the moisture ends up in the butter and gives it different physical properties which will affect whatever end product it goes into (cookies, brownies, whatever).

I do my extraction in a crockpot for 24 hours on WARM setting, or LOW setting. I then strain off the butter and then boil the remaining plant matter in water and separate it in the freezer. Usually if I use 10lbs of butter I will strain out 8. I then take what I strain out and boil it to recover the rest, though it is of slightly lower quality.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions (especially if you are a card-holder in Canada) please send me a PM.
    edited April 2010
    Also, two notes of caution:

Making cannabutter is an extremely STINKY process. It is best done with adequate ventilation, or in a shed that is not connected to where you live. I made the mistake of making a huge batch in my apartment and my dog was puking from the smell of it alone.

Keep that shit away from your pets as they can have extreme reactions and can possibly die from it. When my pup ate some weed oil it looked like she had developed some sort of strange neurological disorder, became somewhat incontinent and was barely functional for over a day and a half. It was worrisome to say the least.
  • spacemanspaceman Civilized worm Posts: 8,537
    edited April 2010
    my rotty pup ate three and half gram chunk of apollo 11 hash and it was not a good scene, she is fine now most of the time hahaha.,.,
    mmmbutter.,.,.,
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
  • c-rayc-ray germinating Posts: 14,636
    edited April 2010
    blat;96232 said:
    I use 50g of high potency bud trim to 1lb of butter. I never use wet trim, as the moisture ends up in the butter and gives it different physical properties which will affect whatever end product it goes into (cookies, brownies, whatever).

I do my extraction in a crockpot for 24 hours on WARM setting, or LOW setting. I then strain off the butter and then boil the remaining plant matter in water and separate it in the freezer. Usually if I use 10lbs of butter I will strain out 8. I then take what I strain out and boil it to recover the rest, though it is of slightly lower quality.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions (especially if you are a card-holder in Canada) please send me a PM.

that is pretty darn close to how I do it, though I don't let it go so long..I like to stop the process when I can smell the weed 'browning' and when I can see that the weed is turning brown

also I prefer to use coconut butter as it has an infinite shelf life, ime cow's butter needs to be refrigerated as soon at is cool and put in the freezer if it's not going to be used up within a month
    coconut butter also has the advantage of being anti-fungal/anti-bacterial so it will kill/smother any nasty microbes if they are on the weed

I haven't used ghee but I think that would be good too

another variation that works well is to stick the weed in a crock pot (on low/warm same as in blat's example) with cow or goat milk, maybe 1 oz dry weed to 1 liter milk, and let it go for half a day or so, strain and add a yogurt culture to the weed (like one of these http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/prod_desc1.html ) and let it turn into yogurt and stick it in the fridge...should probably be used up within a week
    one can even get creative and make a bhang lassi with this cannabis yogurt, my experience with it was simply delightful
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
  • a_goodman Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2010
    Striker;96091 said:
    I once had a link to Puff Momma's cookbook but it's dead now. Anyone have a copy to post? I still have the Peanut Budder Cookie recipe. Her method of cooking involved recipies that were cooked at a max temp of 220 F. The budder was made by boiling water pot and butter for 6 hours stirring every half hour then strain using cheesecloth.
    I had a link to Puff Momma's cookbook but it's dead now. Anyone have a copy to post?
    I once heard that before..http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1612253&page=1 ;)

ya..that Puff Momma's site is crap now.. haven't been able to find a copy yet...
    happy hunting

peace
    [CENTER][url=http://www.maximumyield.com/article_sh_db.php?articleID=197&yearVar=2004&issueVar=January/February]!!!Be aware of the three headed monster!!!

General Key to Foliar Symtoms of Mineral Deficiencies in Plants
    also containing Tenative General Key to Foliar Symptoms of Mineral Toxicities in Plants

Dolphins, eskimos, who cares? It's all a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap.
    [/CENTER]
    edited April 2010
    c-ray;96242 said:
    that is pretty darn close to how I do it, though I don't let it go so long..I like to stop the process when I can smell the weed 'browning' and when I can see that the weed is turning brown
    Yeah, I will melt the butter first in the crockpot and then add the trim. I'll start on the LOW setting and then part-way through I will reduce to WARM and stir a bit. I know what you're talking about with the brown weed, its gnarly.
    also I prefer to use coconut butter as it has an infinite shelf life, ime cow's butter needs to be refrigerated as soon at is cool and put in the freezer if it's not going to be used up within a month
    coconut butter also has the advantage of being anti-fungal/anti-bacterial so it will kill/smother any nasty microbes if they are on the weed
    I didnt know that coconut oil was antimicrobial. I have tremendous success with the coconut oil as it is fucking ridiculously versatile. However, a multitude of recipes and dietary preferences calls for a multitude of oil bases ;)
    another variation that works well is to stick the weed in a crock pot (on low/warm same as in blat's example) with cow or goat milk, maybe 1 oz dry weed to 1 liter milk, and let it go for half a day or so, strain and add a yogurt culture to the weed (like one of these http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/prod_desc1.html ) and let it turn into yogurt and stick it in the fridge...should probably be used up within a week
    one can even get creative and make a bhang lassi with this cannabis yogurt, my experience with it was simply delightful
    You just made my brain explode. I am trying this ASAP!!! :D
    edited April 2010
    cool...hope you enjoy it as much as I did,.. in addition to yogurt I am thinking one could also make buttermilk, sour cream and even cheese....yes you heard me right, even cheese :chin: :call:

some canadian sources for cheesemaking supplies:
    http://www.danlac.com/ingredients/list/1
    http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/
    "One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best."
    edited April 2010
    blat;96245 said:
    Yeah, I will melt the butter first in the crockpot and then add the trim. I'll start on the LOW setting and then part-way through I will reduce to WARM and stir a bit. I know what you're talking about with the brown weed, its gnarly.
    that's exactly how I do it, put it on low to get it up to temps (which takes an hour or so to get the crock hot to the touch) then flip 'er down to warm
    got to love those crock pots, every time I use one to make cannabutter I always think how perfect they are for the task

one other thing, I also like to use a 190 micron bubble bag to strain the butter, once it cools down a bit
  • GoKart MotzartGoKart Motzart checking out the weather Posts: 956
    edited November 2010
    Heres 1 oz of below par outdoor twixer buds going into 500g's of coconut. 24hrs in the slowcooker on low and "keep warm" overnight. strained through 160 bubble bag..it seems the 190 bag is mia since the last batch..
    chi13003_03.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    chi13001_01.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    chi13002_02.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    chi13005_05.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    chi13006_06.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    chi13008_08.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
    chi13007_07.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B
  • GoKart MotzartGoKart Motzart checking out the weather Posts: 956
    edited November 2010
    heres one more i missed before the oil cooled, the straining through the bag shot wouldn't upload for some reason
    chi13002_02.jpg
    1 x 1 - 0B