Can filters vs. Ozone generators

guest Posts: 24,389
edited June 2006 in Equipment
I personally haven't had experience with any of my setups but I will be needing one for my next grow and I need to know which one is better and what sizes work the best. Thanks guys!
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

Comments

• guest Posts: 24,389
    edited June 2006
    Hi Agent-Smith,

Hands down...the Carbon Filter will work best my friend. Filter size depends on the size of your space and how many lights you're running. I run 3k Warm MH and 1k HPS in flower and use the Can 300 with a 436 cfm Elicient fan. I can blow a HUGE fattie in the space, with plants in full bloom....not a smell gets passed the Can Brotha. On a smaller scale Ozone may doable at 30 min intervals, but the ozone must be mixed with the exhaust air in a chamber of sorts before being released outdoors...especially if you're using a fairly hefty exhaust system. ;)
    edited June 2006
    Thank you for the quick response my friend! I operate only a 4' x 3' area right now with a 40 plant max. what do you think?
    edited June 2006
    How about the Ozium Dispenser kit, Does that thing even work for our "unique" situation?
    edited June 2006
    Hi AG,

With 40 plants, I'd go with the carbon filter....much more bang for the buck IMHO! :) If you can tie the filter into an air-cooled hood, then exhaust it out...it'll also help keep temps under control. Best of both worlds then Brotha! ;)
  • hashhash dubed Posts: 231
    edited June 2006
    definitly go with the carbon filter .... a Can-Fan Combo os great and safe!
    Dang! Out of bubble gum .... junior mint anyone?
    edited June 2006
    thanks guys....looks like that is what I'm going to get. :teeth:
    edited June 2006
    can filters are the best option for you agent smith. One big advantage is that you can exhaust back into your house.
    Ozone must be exhausted outside as it is dangerous to humans!

exhausting outside is also a security risk - in winter it looks bad if there's always a spot of no snow because it got melted by the hot exhaust. Likewise exhausting ozone has been known to kill/damage grass and plants in the direct line of the exhaust. My budy had this happen - a whole bunch of ground cover all turned brown due to ozone exposure - pretty easily noticed by landlord/neighbor.

On the other hand when he installed carbon can filters he routed the warm air back into the house and cut down on heat usage.

Only down side if you live in a warm climate you may not want this extra heat in the house, then you can still pump it outside.

The right size can filter will kill all smell. I use a 93 CFM one and a 134 CFM dayton blower on my cabinet and have been happy with this setup for over a year - no smell.
  • Green SupremeGreen Supreme Plant Manager Heaven BCPosts: 17,347
    edited June 2006
    Yo Bro,if you are going to exhaust into your basement,you should use a dehumidifier.This will prevent condensation from building on your windows.You can put dehumidifier in the area where you are exhausting to save room in your grow.Peace GS
    Nobody wants to plant the corn,everybody wants to raid the barn.
    edited June 2006
    Thanks Joe....I'm looking at the 6" 465cfm fan with a nice sized 6" can filter, I'm sure that will be enough for my little 12 sqft grow. :D You think that would be enough for a room 48 sqft.?
    edited June 2006
    Hey GS....no basements in Florida, LOL :D
    edited June 2006
    Agent-Smith said:
    Thanks Joe....I'm looking at the 6" 465cfm fan with a nice sized 6" can filter, I'm sure that will be enough for my little 12 sqft grow. :D You think that would be enough for a room 48 sqft.?
    while I think you could get away with a 200cfm can filter and a 265cfm blower, if you were on a budget, you sound like you probably want to go bigger for more flow. The next step up is a 412 or 420cfm can filter which will be great. I imagine you could run a smaller fan into one of those or a fan controller on the 465cfm to keep noise down.
    edited June 2006
    Since no one else has mentioned it.. you can also go with the 200/265cfm unit and hang a couple of 5 gallon dyi units in the grow area. mebeanboys setup stops even roofing tar odor...
    edited June 2006
    you got a link on how to build that badboy HR?
    edited June 2006
    Not right now... I will see if I can dig one up.
    For anyone looking to build one... activated carbon is available on ebay. One seller in the northwest was charging bout 50 cents a pound for shipping. iow... 20 pounds delivered was $30.